When your job is stressful it can be easy to spend your entire Sunday worrying about what you have to do on Monday. Some people have a hard time sleeping on Sunday night, and some spend their entire Sunday dreading the upcoming work week.
Try these 6 ways to stop worrying about Mondays:
- Remind yourself that what you are dreading is not actually here yet. Notice if what you are worrying about is in your control or not. If it is not something you can control, try your best to let it go. Focus instead on things that you can control, such as taking care of yourself before the work-week begins. Relish in your weekend, go to bed early, and take time to relax so you are fuelled up for the week ahead.
- Next think back to past Mondays and try to recall a Monday that wasn’t as bad as you expected it to be. Oftentimes we think that the start of the workweek will be stressful but the truth is most of what we worried about will either not happen or happen much more smoothly than you had anticipated.
- Try catching yourself when you’re worrying about Monday. When you’re worrying about work you’re giving yourself a false sense of control that you will somehow be more prepared for it. However, worrying only robs you of enjoying the moment.
- If you really cannot stop thinking about work, take 20 minutes out of your day and write down everything that is worrying you in a journal. When you are done writing it down close your journal and go enjoy your day.
- If nothing else works then try to distract yourself. Instead of sitting and watching TV, where your mind can still wander, go out and meet someone for lunch or even go shopping. You will notice once you change your environment it will be easier to think of other things, other than work.
- Become more aware of your body and your anxiousness. Try to notice where in your body you hold your stress: Is your chest tight? Is your stomach in knots? Next time you feel stress in that part of your body, take a deep breath and try to change your focus on something else.