The holidays tend to be the one time of year everyone you know and love comes together to celebrate. Sometimes we get caught up in everything that needs to be done that we forget to relish in the quality time with friends and family. Why not make it extra special this year with some new festive traditions.
- Count down to Christmas with your favourite books. Every night leading up to Christmas take out one of your favourite Christmas books and read it as a family. You can even wrap all the books you’ll be reading beforehand and each person takes turns unwrapping the book. This is an especially good tradition if you have young children.
- Have a holiday cookie party. Invite all your friends and family over and have everyone bring a batch of their favourite homemade cookies. You provide the hot chocolate and holiday tunes. If guests are willing you could even make a recipe book and send it to everyone after.
- Host a gingerbread house party. Have each person bring a small bag of festive candy to decorate the house. The best part is eating the house after!
- Take a walk in your neighbourhood and see all the brightly lit Christmas lights. Gather friends and family, bring hot cocoa and take in the winter air.
- Camp out in front of the Christmas tree. Turn the Christmas lights on, put on the fireplace, listen to Christmas carols and eat some holiday treats. Spend time as a family making the treats beforehand for an extra special day.
- Wrap presents to holiday tunes. Get together with your partner and wrap all your children’s, relatives’ and friends’ presents together. Wrapping presents can sometimes feel like more of a chore than a holiday tradition. Why not bring some fun to it by playing Christmas carols, eating rum balls and drinking hot cocoa together in front of the tree!
- Whip up a batch of homemade apple cider or eggnog. There are plenty of recipes for both all over the Internet. Gather your family round and everyone take a cup and toast to everything you are thankful for.
- Do something special with all your digital photos. Often we just take pictures and they sit on our computer. Why not go through all your pictures of 2015 and make a collage or a calendar for next year, you can also buy a digital photo frame and have a constant slideshow playing.
This time of year is supposed to be about celebration, fun and family but with all the stress, this is often forgotten. Starting new traditions can be a great way to spend quality time with the people you love the most.
Comment below and share one of your own traditions!